Media Release/Event Invitation – 10 March 2018
2018 ASEAN-Australia Dialogue: Partnering for Security and Prosperity in Uncertain Times
Date: Tuesday 13 March, 2018
Venue: PwC Barangaroo
Level 15, One International Towers Sydney,
Watermans Quay, Barangaroo
Media are welcome to attend and record Dialogue sessions.
The ASEAN-Australia Dialogue Steering Committee would like to invite media to attend and report on the below Dialogue. Prominent speakers include:
- The Hon Julie Bishop MP, Minister for Foreign Affairs and Deputy Leader of the Liberal Party of Australia (Dinner speaker)
- His Royal Highness Sultan Muizzudin Shah, Sultan of Perak, Malaysia (Keynote)
- Dr Marty Natalegawa, Former Foreign Minister of Indonesia (Security panel)
- HE Ambassador Ong Keng Yong, Executive Deputy Chairman, S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies, Singapore; Former Secretary-General of ASEAN (Speakers’ dinner)
- Dr Mari Elka Pangestu, Professor, University of Indonesia (Lunch panel)
- Ms Christine Holgate, CEO and Managing Director, Australia Post (Economics panel)
- Professor the Hon Gareth Evans, Chancellor, Australian National University (Lunch panel)
- The Hon Stephen Smith, Former Australian Defence and Foreign Affairs Minister (Security panel)
- Dr Richard Javad Heydrian, De Salle University (Security panel)
- HE Ambassador Jane Duke, Australian Ambassador to ASEAN (Speakers’ dinner)
The ASEAN-Australia Dialogue: Partnering for Security and Prosperity in Uncertain Times, is a unique conference with a policy-relevant focus, hosted by a consortium of Australia’s leading academic institutions, business and government, to address contemporary multilateral issues, including shared economic, security and political challenges and opportunities.
The Dialogue is an unprecedented collaborative effort of the following institutions:
- Asialink, University of Melbourne
- Asia Institute Tasmania, University of Tasmania
- Council for Security Cooperation in the Asia Pacific (Aus-CSCAP)
- Griffith Asia Institute, Griffith University
- La Trobe Asia, La Trobe University
- Perth USAsia Centre, University of Western Australia
- PwC Australia
- Southeast Asia Institute, Australian National University
- Sydney Southeast Asia Centre, University of Sydney
The conference aims to examine contemporary issues where there are differences of opinion between ASEAN and Australia, explore opportunities and partnerships that can enhance bilateral and multilateral relations between Australia and ASEAN, share academic, business, government and the community insights; and focus on listening to ASEAN experts.
The Dialogue’s overarching theme is “Partnering for Security and Prosperity” and will be a one-day dialogue at PwC Barangaroo, including plenary sessions and keynote addresses, concluding with observations and recommendations, preceded by a Speakers’ Dinner.
The Dialogue is convened by a consortium of academic, think tank and business institutions, received grant funding from the Australia-ASEAN Council (AAC) of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade and the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet. The Dialogue is proud to be associated with the ASEAN-Australia Special Summit 2018.
Media wishing to attend the Dialogue must register their attendance with the below contact:
Contact: Mr Samuel Bashfield
Project Officer, ANU College of Asia and the Pacific
0434 816 583